Sunday 22 July 2012

Tasting : Meekweiser

After just writing a post on my experience brewing a nice, summery Witbier last week, I thought now would be a good time to jot down some tasting notes on the Standard American Lager that I brewed a few months ago. I've been drinking this beer for only a couple of weeks now, but in general I'd have to say that I'm pretty happy with it. Family members and friends - craft and non-craft beer drinkers alike - have also been drinking it, with no complaints (mind you, most don't complain when it comes to free beer). While I still prefer beers with more complexity, a well-made American Lager DOES make a great lawnmower beer!

Appearance: Pours with a moderate-sized, white head that has a little more consistency and retention than most American Lagers. Fades to about 1/2-finger and sits there. Body is light yellow, with very good clarity.

Aroma: Faint hint of sulfur and DMS... the corn is there, but its not overly powerful at all. Otherwise, the whole thing is pretty clean. No diacetyl.

Taste: Light and refreshing. A bit of DMS is there, but not as high as your typical BMC product. No hop flavor. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation, and light-bodied.

Overall: Pretty spot-on for the style, I think. Nothing particular stands out in terms of flaws. In fact, if I were to brew this style again, I don't think I'd change the recipe at all. A great lawnmower beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment